Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What the world thinks about when they think about God

Ever had one of those nights in which you are absolutely exhausted but can't sleep because you have some thought racing through your mind? You know, one of those nights that you think of something important before you go to bed then wake up all through the night with a new perspective on the same thought. Lastnight was one of those nights...

I'm the kind of guy that likes to read a few verses of God's word in the mornings so it gives me something to chew on for the rest of the day (my simple mind can't handle much more than a few verses at a time). Well yesterday was one of those days that God decided to shake up a bit. Right before I went to bed I had one single verse really resonating between my ears so decided to read through it before I crashed for the night.

2 Corinthians 5:20"We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us."

After thinking through this verse I realized that the implications that come with this verse are two fold...

First of all we are Christ's representatives in this world. That speaks volumes for itself! God created us in His image, to be His ambassadors in this dark hurting world. He didn't have to create us, but He chose to create us. Then to take it further He gave us the privilege of representing Him to the world. As mind boggling as this is, it is not even the thought that kept me up through the night...

The aspect of this verse that kept me up through the night was not the excitement or humility that comes with being one of God's representatives (don't let me water that down because that portion alone is the single most mind blowing thought ever, but was simply not the thing that kept me up). But it was the other side of the coin.

A.W. Tozer said, "What you think about when you think about God is the most important thing about you."

Now, when I read 2 Corinthians 5:20, it immediately collided with Tozer's quote and forced me into a cold sweat. If you take Tozer's quote and add to it you'll see a new perspective that hits home pretty hard.

"What you think about when you think about God is the most important thing about you." AND since we are representatives of God, what the world thinks about when it thinks about God is what they see in you (second half added).

This thought almost had me in tears lastnight simply because I began to wonder what we as "Christ's ambassadors" are telling the world about our God. Are we saying that He is faithful, loving, and holy? Or are we telling the world that our God is unfaithful, unloving, and unholy?
After all we bear His image in this world...

No comments: